PDA

View Full Version here: : Store in WA with cheap prices?

garymck
12-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Hi,

wondering if anyone has had dealings with

http://btow.com.au

Binocular Telescope and Optical World in WA ?

Just came across them while checking out some Celestron prices. They are the cheapest in Australia by far - especially since Andrews has been progressively increasing their prices over the last year or so.... A C11 OTA for $2362 cf Andrews at $3599 !!

Wondering how good they are at shipping to eastern states....

cheerd
s
Gary

simmo
12-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Hello Gary,

I live here in WA and have dealt with BTOW. It's where I bought my Dob from. Keith I'm pretty sure is the owner. He's a nice guy and was easy to talk to. If you like as well as telescopes, motorbikes or cigars then you will get on very well as these are his passions and we talked for what seemed like hours. He's only there by himself as far as I could tell so if you can't get through straight away just try again later. Plus he's not open on Mondays so try any other day of the week. Some people live such a lucky life! Hope this helps.

Simmo

OICURMT
13-01-2013, 12:25 PM
I don't think Keith is the owner. He sold his interest sometime ago and now just runs the shop. Keith is very knowledgeable and easy going. He won't hard-sell and answers questions.

I purchased my NEQ6-W from him last January.

OIC!

dmizen
14-01-2013, 02:48 AM
the rumour i hear was that its now owned by Gerry Gibbs (who is part of the Camera House Group)

Ive dealt with keith always found him to be knowledgable and reliable

dcm

Shano592
14-01-2013, 04:19 PM
If Gerry/Murray Gibbs own it, then get in now before it goes to heck!

JZG
15-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Gary

My experience is documented at 94475. There's some commentary from others in that thread as well. Worth a read.

(Not sure if that link will work - if not, just search the forum on 'BTOW'.)

Good luck.

garymck
15-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Hi Jason (and others)

for replying. After reading of your experiences I'll by closer to home...where I can knock on someones door if there is an issue. Never had an issue with Bintel (even returned some stuff without a problem when I ordered the wrong bits)...also good exoeriences with Andrews. If I ever get to WA sand can shop in person I'll by there.....but not by phone....

thanks Gary

BFUBBS
04-02-2013, 09:44 PM
I had problems with ozsopes.com.au, ordered a scope online which was advertised as being "in stock" however after deducting funds from my acct they then sent me an email telling me that it was not in stock after all with an unknown arrival date. Having said that they offered me a few alternatives which I deemed unsuitable but they promptly refunded the full amount when I requested a refund (less than 24 hrs for the refund to get back into my acct). I just felt it was deceptive to charge me for something that they never had to sell in the first place

a site that I can recommend is nvt.com.au

I actually ordered a rifle scope from these guys, then found that they could get a superior rifle scope ordered in so they changed my order. Every time I ring enquiring about my order (firearms and parts take a long time to clear customs/get shipped) he remember either my exact order when I mention my name or he remembers my name when I mention what scope I ordered. He promises to call me back in five minutes after ringing his supplier to get info and every time 3 minutes later he calls me back with news if any. If you want something that is not in their supply catalogue (like I did) just ask for it and if possible it will be brought in. Keep in mind that NVT are not astronomy specific so you are probably best researching what you want and then asking for a price on that, not trying to select what you want from their catalogue.

alocky
04-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Ditto - Gerry at NVT is a great guy and supports his customers well. I've had some 'toys' of Italian manufacture that he is the distributor for come apart in a high energy environment and he replaced them immediately with no fuss. Having said that, he doesn't sell March scopes. Why would you buy anything else? :D
He's not an astronomer to my knowledge, so do your research beforehand, as has already been said wisely.

Cheers,
Andrew.

deanm
07-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Entirely on-line, I bought a C11 OTA mid last year from BTOW for around $2200 - best price in Oz.

Order arrived in around a week - no problems whatsoever.

Dean

raymo
07-02-2013, 02:53 PM
I have been dealing with Keith for many years, have bought several scopes and other items, and have always been happy with my
purchases, and have also had a number of long chats with him,
hope it helps
raymo:)