PDA

View Full Version here: : DSLR Canon batteries

04Stefan07
11-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Can anyone recommend a good website or shop to buy some DSLR Canon batteries (I have a 350D).

The ones I have now do not last as long and would like to purchase some new ones.

There are some on eBay for $5 to JBHIFI selling official Canon ones for $89. I know both these prices are too cheap and expensive.

Where do you buy batteries from?

Thanks!

pluto
11-01-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm not sure about the 350D but for my 5DmkII I've got both Canon batteries and some dodgy ebay batteries. I haven't used the ebay batteries much, they were $20 for 2 so I got them for backup, but in my experience they last about 80% as long as the real ones. The ones I got have the chip in them so that the camera thinks they are real Canon ones and report the charge state correctly (apparently some of the ebay ones don't do this). The ones I got were the brand "Maximal Power" and I'd read on a few forums that people had good experiences with them.
However if you can afford it I would buy real Canon batteries.

rustigsmed
11-01-2013, 02:57 PM
i use kogan and go 'official' although i'm planning on getting the convertor to plug and into a power tank.
they're $59 but i'm not sure if there is one suitable for the 350d

LewisM
11-01-2013, 06:44 PM
I got some ORIGINAL Canon batteries for my 5D MkII through a parallel importer/grey market shop off eBay in Sydney for $19 each. Only difference between these and the locally available version is mine have Russian Cyrillic on the boxes and the label. DEFINITELY Canon originals, just for the Russian market. These batteries are over a year old, get DAILY use (most of my work is photography), and hold charge easily 6 hours or so. When I use 2 in a battery grip for long exposure astrophotography, I'll easily go an entire night with the end result being about 17% left on the batteries.

Says a LOT about the price gouging that goes on here, and retailers wonder why a LOT of us shop online.

CapturingTheNight
11-01-2013, 07:01 PM
While there are a lot of after market camera accessories which work quite well and are a lot cheaper than genuine Canon bits (remote timers spring instantly to mind), batteries are one part that I will never skimp on again. I got an Ebay cheapy for my first camera (1000D) and it was hopeless. Held charge for a fraction of the time of the genuine article and ended up swelling up and getting stuck in the camera.
So my advice is try and find the best price, but make sure you do buy a genuine battery and not some cheap knock off.

pluto
11-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Do you recall the name of the ebay shop Lewis?

hotspur
11-01-2013, 08:50 PM
I bought a new canon DSLR,at the same time I bought a ebay jobbie for a few dollars-they both got a parallel use in the field,and they both started to hold less charge at the same time.I felt there was no difference in use.I've been using most of my gear on a daily bases the last seven months-along with these cheaper batteries.never an issue.

Whenever I buy a new DSLR,I just buy a few ebay ones,IMO,and in the field observation, they are just the same -I noticed the batteries I got of ebay came from U.S-if that's any help.

Certainly do not get hung up on 'brand only' gear-publishers have never said to me-"oh no where not going to use your images-you've used cheap ebay batteries" LOL.

LewisM
11-01-2013, 09:39 PM
The seller's eBay handle was/is " digital_jaz ". From Horningsea Park, NSW. No items listed now, but within last month selling Canon LP-E8 batteries for $22...

AdrianF
11-01-2013, 09:56 PM
I bought my 2 350D batteries off eBay 2 years ago and have had no problems with then at all. If I remember right I paid 12$ each.

Adrian

Danack
11-01-2013, 10:47 PM
At least for the 5dMKiii JBHifi sell some batteries that are about half the price of the official Canon ones. However they only last about 2/3 as long as the Canon ones, so I'm not sure that they're the best bargain ever.

Irish stargazer
12-01-2013, 07:44 AM
I bought two batteries off ebay a few years back for my 400D and they were both duds. You get what you pay for. Canon batteries are built to last-hold their charge a long time and will be with you for years.
I do have a Hahnel EP5 battery for the 400D which is just as good as Canon and would highly recommend. Buy from a camera shop though so you can return if there is a problem

04Stefan07
12-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Cool thanks! I will have a look at a camera shop.

naskies
13-01-2013, 12:52 AM
I bought my first DSLR (Canon 20D) back in 2005. Genuine Canon batteries at the time were going for about $100 (give or take), but Sterlingtek were selling them for only $10 each :eyepop:

After reading lots of good reviews, I took the plunge and tried them out. They even had more capacity (both in mAh rating and in actual shots taken) than the genuine Canon ones!

When I upgraded to the 5DmkII, I just stuck with the genuine batteries as they're microchipped and the premium was less crazy.

I think the main concern with ultra cheap Li-ion batteries is that if the internal circuitry is dodgy, they have a habit of exploding or catching fire...

Irish stargazer
13-01-2013, 08:22 AM
Thats a very good point about cheap Li ion batteries. Decent batteries have a safety circuit built in. Even rechargable batteries used for flashlights, such as 18650s, have a protection circuit. There is a lot of energy in these batteries which can do a lot of damage if suddenly released . I would suggest that for an expensive camera use quality batteries.

swannies1983
13-01-2013, 02:13 PM
I bought a cheapie canon 400D battery off ebay once and it will be my last. Worked for a few months and then lost charge very quickly.

Sequence of events:

I sent it back for a replacement as it had a 12 month warranty.
Received a new one but the capacity was less than what I initially had.
I sent the seller an email saying I will be sending it back but they had to pay return postage given they were at fault for not sending the correct item.
Seller refused saying I had to pay return postage despite many emails stating they should pay postage. Ebay agreed with me and let them know. Seller still refused to pay.
Seller ended up calling me a racist because I said I was wasting my time as they didn't understand.
Gave up in the end. Lesson learnt.