PDA

View Full Version here: : A very close call!!

TechnoViking
09-01-2013, 05:45 PM
We had a very close call yesterday in the 40 degree + heat. The next suburb from us as the bird flies is Brogo. The fire was heading our direction early in the morning, we packed the cars, and I dropped my children to their uncles house which is in the middle of the township Cobargo, drove home and took the below picture on the way. The pointy hill that you can see in the picture is near my house.

We where very lucky that at around lunchtime the wind turned to the south east, then around 5pm all the power went out, and didn't come back until almost 9pm, so my wife and i spent the afternoon sitting on the edge of the swimming pool eating mangoes to keep cool, we cooked dinner on a portable gas stove and had a candle lit dinner :) which was quite romantic even though we were eating 2 minute noodles.

I was awoken at 4am by noise, I couldnt believe my ears, RAIN!!! only 6mm fell, but im sure it would have helped put out any embers remaining.

Today i have spent most of the day unpacking the cars/trailer. I even had to put all my gear back in the observatory which in my absent mindedness had not been added to the insurance since its completion!! ...lol I have to polar align it all over again!

Thats my close call for the year! and hopefully the only one!

I am very thankful that no one lost their home, and even more thankful that no lives were lost!!

I take my hat off to the fireys, they did an outstanding job!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just thought id share....

Kunama
09-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Good to hear that you're ok James. I saw that you guys were in the path until the change.
A big change here too, this morning temp was down to 8 degrees after 39 yesterday.

sheeny
09-01-2013, 06:36 PM
There's a bit of it about ATM. The sort of thing you can do without.

Glad it missed you.

Al.