PDA

View Full Version here: : Adhesive tape for focuser draw tube?

mental4astro
08-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Hi all,

I've seen in some rack and pinion focusers the use of some type of adhesive tape to help control movement of the draw tube within the focuser. Anyone know what this tape is and where I could get some? Thing is I'll be needing about 12" all up, and this will leave a bit left as spare

Mental.

coldlegs
08-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Alexander
I used some pieces of "teflon" tape (very slippery!!) many years ago. You will probably find it in the hardware store. You could also go slightly crazy like I did and install some bearings in the tube and turn it into a "crayford rack and pinion" focuser!
Cheers
Stephen

asimov
08-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Yes, Teflon tape. Good stuff for lots of things including packing clearance problems in focusers. Bunnings?

Saturnine
08-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Hi Alexander

PM Sent - re Teflon Tape

jeff

brian nordstrom
09-01-2013, 10:30 AM
:) I just use good old masking tape , it gets a hard shiny sheen after a while , that works well and is easily strong enough
Cheap as well .
Brian.

alistairsam
09-01-2013, 12:01 PM
is this one in Auspost usable?

http://stationery.auspost.com.au/office-supplies/stationery/tape-glue-adhesives/packaging-specialty-tapes/ptfe-teflon-tape-12mmx10m.html

Saturnine
09-01-2013, 11:10 PM
I've used teflon tape for my own focuser projects and it works quite well, I was lucky enough to work in an industry that used teflon tape of varying thicknesses and managed to salvage some end of rolls before they were tossed in the garbage by operators who didn't realise the value of the tape to amateur astronomers / atm'ers.
I've offered some of my leftovers to Alex and hope it works for his project.

Jeff