PDA

View Full Version here: : Naked-eye stargazing in Glenworth Valley (NSW)

MortonH
04-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Driving home from Lake Macquarie last night around 10pm and could see how beautifully clear the sky was so came off the F3 and went cruising for a darkish spot. It's been so long I'd almost forgotten how many stars you can see away from the city. The Magellanic clouds, Eta Carina, etc were just so obvious. Shame I didn't have any gear with me but will head back out that way tonight.

I continued my journey home on the old Pacific Highway and stopped a few more times to see how the sky compared as I got closer to Sydney. Found a decent spot away from lights near Cowan but the sky was so much brighter. No wonder I've been disappointed with my casual observing recently - I just haven't been getting far enough away from the city. Lesson now learned.

Really hope I can get out to Katoomba Airfield some time soon.

Allan_L
04-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Hey Morton,
Have you considered joining us at the Mangrove Mountain Pony Club.
Skies are good and dark, and its just 20 minutes (or so) off the F3.

We usually do Saturday(s) close to New Moon - (eg tomorrow is on the agenda) but we can go up there any time you can get a key. (And I am a keyholder).

Even If you want to go up tonight, for instance, I could meet you up there if we can confirm. If like last night, it could be good.

Directions are in a sticky on the top of the star parties forum.

Kunama
04-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Hi Morton,
I can't help but admire amateurs who stick with astronomy when their only option is to view the heavens through Sydney or Melbourne's light polluted skies.
In country areas we get it too easy, sometimes there are so many stars visible that it takes a while recognize what you are looking at. Last night was again another night of crystal clear skies with excellent seeing.

I now have a pair of binos in the car permanently.
(I used to drive to Canberra three times a week at 4am and often drove the distance with the sunroof open gazing upwards.)

MortonH
04-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Hi Allan.

must have been pretty close last night without realising! am planning a drive out tonight so Pony Club would be great if you or someone else is going. reckon I'll leave Sydney some time after 7pm. I'll pm my details. if no one can make it I'll just pull over in a dark spot somewhere!