PDA

View Full Version here: : on a clear crisp night - the first for 2013, it happened...

h0ughy
03-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Well to be honest it was earlier today. I opened up the observatory and was reinstalling the gear, scoped up and for the first time since August 2012 i fired up the PC's. Well thats when it went all pear shaped. One PC is working, but the other one is as dead as a dodo. Tested the video card at Scotts place so i know that works. So its either the mother board is dead or the battery for the cmos. I knew it was too good to be true;)

last thing to check is replacing the battery.

the other PC is the control centre for the dome and guiding, the pc that went down was the imaging PC for control of the cameras.

I suppose that sitting out in a semi sheltered environment will bring its problems:question:

it also indicates the weather we have had in Newcastle over the past year:sadeyes:, curse you sidonio:lol: you left us here:rofl:

So i say to those left functioning out there enjoy the clear skies, through my sacrifice:P

RB
03-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Sorry to hear Dave.
Any chance it may just be a faulty power supply?
Remember I had a similar problem a few years ago with 'Lazarus' ! :P

h0ughy
03-01-2013, 10:59 PM
You may be right RB - will look into that. The only thing is that there are no Cmos alarm sounds - none at all so i have no idea exactly where to look, though i do know where i can get enough parts to build a new(old ) PC eh RB:rofl:

RB
03-01-2013, 11:01 PM
:lol:

You wanna parallel port with your serial?

:rofl:

Glenhuon
03-01-2013, 11:05 PM
CMOS battery failure would still allow boot, default settings would be loaded. If no beeps, power supply or motherboard fault. Hope it power supply, less work (and $$$) involved.

h0ughy
03-01-2013, 11:31 PM
and cheaper - will have to buy one to put it in

Tandum
03-01-2013, 11:37 PM
If the LEDs lightup and nothing else happens, try pulling the ram sticks out, clean the contacts and put em back in. Or if you try and boot with them out and you get beeps, then they are prolly dirty. They do that a lot in a moist environs. If you got no LEDs, look at the PSU.

Screwdriverone
03-01-2013, 11:39 PM
Houghy,

Try unplugging the power cord from the PSU.

My old HP desktop used to not want to fire until I did this, probably until the PSU capacitors discharged or something. Give it a go and leave it for a bit and then power it up, (or try)

Good luck with it.

Chris

h0ughy
03-01-2013, 11:43 PM
thanks Robin will do that tomorrow. I left the case at Scott's place.

You know it has bee nthe first real chance for me to do something at home for a long long time. I almost forgot wha tit looked like. as for the otehr critters - might fully baygon them tomorrow after i take out the scopes. :thumbsup:

Jen
03-01-2013, 11:48 PM
That's when you become a visual observer hehe no computers needed :P hope you get up and running soon :)

h0ughy
03-01-2013, 11:49 PM
did that - i just think i could have been using the new filter wheel and filters on Jupiter for the first time on my path to planetary imaging:lol: - the christmas gift that bites me:help::rofl:

h0ughy
03-01-2013, 11:49 PM
wash your mouth out young lady - visual observing indeed:eyepop:

Glenhuon
04-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Try the local recycling yard or a friendly tech in a shop. They often have PSU's around from scrapped machines, much cheaper way to test it. :)
Or, Check out the nearest Menshed, a lot of them recycle computers, might get a loaner to try out :)

Glenhuon
04-01-2013, 12:26 AM
Bill < Metal Worker, Woodworker, Banjo Maker, Computer Recycler and Rubbish Tip explorer extraordinary :)

CJ
04-01-2013, 12:27 AM
I had one outlet on a powerboard die. That had me stumped for a while as the other 3 were supplying juice!