PDA

View Full Version here: : I've made the switch!!!

matt
21-05-2006, 11:50 AM
OK experts.

I couldn't take it any longer.

I've placed an order today for a new ToUcam Pro II 840k.

It should be here in a couple of days.

What are some key tips/pointers you'd offer for me to begin working with this new toy?

Any settings/changes to the cam which I can do straight away to improve its performance "out of the box"?

asimov
21-05-2006, 11:55 AM
I thought you would have gone the 900nc Matt..?

IR/UV cut filter is a must-use...{even just to keep the dust bunnies out! The toucam chip is a lot harder to clean than the neximage!} Run it using K3CCD tools are the advantages I can think of straight away....possibly use the 900nc firmware like Mike does as well. Davo just posted info on that bit in my compression thread.

matt
21-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Yeah. Thought about the 900nc Asi.

Couldn't see a massive amount of difference to bother? Few more pixels, but not too many more. Also can capture at a slightly higher frame rate but not sure whether that's much use?

Also, got a good deal on the Pro II + adaptor.

asimov
21-05-2006, 12:04 PM
The 900nc has better signal to noise ratio apparently...that means less grain in the final image I assume. I'm thinking about getting one.

Anyway, I'm glad you made this decision...nothing wrong with the 840K thats for sure! Nothing like a new toy to lift the spirits! :)

matt
21-05-2006, 12:12 PM
I hear you Asi.

I'm just keen (for now) to try some imaging with the same camera you, DP, Mike etc have been using so I can judge for myself the comparative performance with the NexImage which I've used for the last 5 to 6 months.

The other good thing is there's plenty of advice out there on the 840k ... coz that's what most folk have been using.

I can always sell the Pro II to upgrade later, after all you blokes have figured the 900nc out:lol:

asimov
21-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Lester whipped me in the imaging Jupiter department last night. (using his neximage) Mind you, I made a serious blunder by using 10 FPS where as he shot at 5 FPS. He used less gain & more gamma too, so my final was more grainy than his.

matt
21-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Asi....

The NexImage is still available. Sounds like you've got a high view of it's capabilities.

Make me an offer:lol:

davidpretorius
21-05-2006, 12:51 PM
well done matt, i see no major need for the 900nc if you are going to be using optimised colour mode which is a binary hack.

you end up saving $40.

i am hoping to see a 30 fps uncompressed usb2.0 out of england soon (3-4 months) for the next jupiter season. I will be bypassing the 900nc to this higher frame rate model before next jupiter season.

The 900nc is a fine replacement as the 840k is being phased out. Is it heaps better, no! It is not a huge leap forward like the 740k/840k has been!

ir/uv filter definately baader $80 from Telescopes and Astronomy again.

and read up on optimized / raw mode macro hacks

matt
21-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Cheers DP. My thoughts exactly.

Sounds like exciting things to come next joop season:thumbsup:

Might need some help with the mods though. I don't work in IT.

Any good (easy to understand) links/tips?

Cheers

asimov
21-05-2006, 01:41 PM
I look at it from a different perspective...I want any improvement..NOW! not next bloody season! :)

I used to drink 200 bucks worth of booze in 2 nights...$200 on a minor improvement in imaging is well spent to me..

davidpretorius
21-05-2006, 01:58 PM
http://www.astrosurf.com/astrobond/ebrawe.htm is all a software thing, no screwdrivers or welders necessary on your toucam (sorry asi).

basically, you plug your camera in, fire up you avi capture softare (qfocus, k3ccd etc) and then the wrcmac program.

follow this links instruction explicitly, ie make a backup of your default settings. ( i do have access to the original settings for guys that forget to read this step)

It is quite straight forward and i have never had a problem, but it is at your own expense if it stuffs up, ie pulling cable out whilst uploading a file to yout camera etc

have a read through, plug camera in and jump on line and we can guide you thru!

davidpretorius
21-05-2006, 02:04 PM
my wife was away for the weekend. I got $100 on friday night, got pizza, dvd's and a few xbox games, bread, milk. The girls wanted KFC chicken for lunch and also a trip to Gloria Jeans for a hot chocloate.

I had to get more money out!!!

anyone want some childern, they cost too much..

i would loved to have spent $200 on booze and brought it all back up, now that is worth it, but not spending it on my children!!!!! :D

matt
21-05-2006, 02:11 PM
:lol:

asimov
21-05-2006, 02:18 PM
LMAO Dave!

netwolf
24-05-2006, 12:59 AM
and here i am thinking of having kids... oh lord send me a sign.. trying to save a few pennies for an tracking upgrade but a kid would really put a dent in it.. Are they worth it david??

ballaratdragons
27-07-2006, 12:02 AM
netwolf, they sure are worth it!

Davo, what's with all these capture programs?(qfocus, k3ccd etc) I just use the Philips Video program that came with the Toucam. Are these other ones better? and do they work with the Long Exposure Mod or should I stick with 'Desire'?

iceman
27-07-2006, 06:01 AM
K3CCDtools is one of the easiest and best capture programs, Ken. It is one click away to change your settings, frame rate etc, and it does auto naming of your files with file sequence numbers. Press a button to start recording, and right-click the mouse to stop recording.

You also get a live "histogram" or white level meter, to show you how exposed the object is. Getting correct exposure (especially on moon and planets) is very important, and the white level meters gives you immediate feedback. If it's 255, it means you're overexposing as there's pure white on your image.

Version 1 is still available for download, and you just need to renew the key every few months.

It can do long exposure stuff I believe, but I can't give any advice on it as I haven't tried it.

I've used k3ccd since day 1 and love it. I use "IC Capture" now with the DMK, but it's no better than k3ccdtools.

[1ponders]
27-07-2006, 07:49 AM
I've been playing around using Virtual Dub as a capture tool and it seems to be doing a mighty fine job as well. Very different setup and capture process than K3 but once over the hurdle it's not bad at all.