PDA

View Full Version here: : made an observatory desk.

hotspur
19-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Made this rosewood desk,I had a large amount of 2 inch thick boards,I had to back saw them and put through a planner to get DAR 1 inch thick boards,(I like furniture made properly-so none of the 19 mm crap).

I had to by dowel from U.S,I used over 150 pieces of 2 inch dowel,a litre of satin laquar,sanded between coats.Took me a while to build,I made it so bottom draw space can house desk top.The desk is just under 4 ft long and 2 ft 2 inches wide,and takes three men to lift.I am so lucky to have proper English 'Sash clamps' (no chinese rubbish in my sheds),they are so good to clamp all the bits together-I used 750 mm of glue in this project-would hate for it to fall apart while imaging.

Here is the finished item in observatory,and some in production photos.I'll make some more cupboards and furniture item to match soon

Colin_Fraser
19-12-2012, 05:09 PM
What great craftsmanship. Real nice piece of furniture :thumbsup:

hotspur
19-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks for your kind words-it really makes a difference,going into the observatory,to go and do some imaging,its comfortable to sit at and do some tasks-well problem solving!,I doubt my astro images will ever be to the standard the desk is.

Colin_Fraser
19-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Well decked out workshop too. I would of loved to do that sort of craft but I don't have the skills.
You could make a bit of pocket money with your talent.

brian nordstrom
19-12-2012, 08:10 PM
:thumbsup: I can smell the rose wood from here ! , beautiful Chris .
On the Sash clamps , I cant agree more . Chineese cant make them , they fall to pieces at the wrong times allowing things to move at the wrong times ..:mad2: , I am a Boilermaker so yea mate English is the only way to go ;) .
Brian.

jjjnettie
19-12-2012, 08:19 PM
I think Chris has made a little money in the past making a bit of this and that. :)