10-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Sir Patrick Moore has died at his home at the age of 89. RIP

jjjnettie
10-12-2012, 12:14 AM
I just heard the news. :(
He will be sadly missed:(

barx1963
10-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Sad news. I remember watching Sky at Night in England in the early 70's.
He certainly had his critics but he also was a force to poularise astronomy not just in the UK but around the world.
The universe is a less rich place for his apssing.

Malcolm

MortonH
10-12-2012, 12:24 AM
My first ever astronomy books were written by Sir Patrick. If they weren't back in Scotland I'd get them out now to reminisce.

okiscopey
10-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Obituary here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10525469

astroron
10-12-2012, 12:37 AM
I saw him at the Cultural Center in Brisbane for Expo 88, a colourful and entertaining speaker.
A great populariser for science and astronomy.
RIP Sir Patrick.

Astro_Bot
10-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Very sad indeed.

Me too.

asimov
10-12-2012, 01:14 AM
A huge loss to astronomy, & the world.

RIP Patrick.

Ric
10-12-2012, 01:23 AM
Very sad indeed, he'll be sadly missed.

His books taught me a lot as a child.

RIP Sir Patrick

JB80
10-12-2012, 01:32 AM
Incredibly sad news.

Thanks Sir Patrick for your incredible knowledge and inspiration.

wavelandscott
10-12-2012, 01:32 AM
RIP Sir Patrick

mr bruess
10-12-2012, 02:25 AM
Just found out the news on the net after a short sleep that
British astronomer Sir Patrick Moore, has died at the age of 89.

He "passed away peacefully at 12:25 this afternoon" at his home in Selsey, West Sussex, they said in a statement.A statement by his friends and staff said: "After a short spell in hospital last week, it was determined that no further treatment would benefit him, and it was his wish to spend his last days in his own home.
"Over the past few years, Patrick, an inspiration to generations of astronomers, fought his way back from many serious spells of illness and continued to work and write at a great rate, but this time his body was too weak to overcome the infection which set in, a few weeks ago.

An absolutely brilliant Gentleman who was my inspiration to take up Astronomy at a young age, such a terrible loss to Humanity as a whole. God Bless Sir Patrick
Now we can look up to the great void of cosmos and think of you Sir Moore. You are back from where you came the great plains of stardust and space. Thank you for you dedication into this world. Rest in peace, with great respect, Thank You.
He will never be forgotten.He will be remembered for his books and sky at night program and more.
I have some of his books.

Mutley
10-12-2012, 02:27 AM
RIP, A very sad passing ;-((((

Osirisra
10-12-2012, 05:51 AM
Great loss and he will be sadly missed. Was just looking up at the night sky thinking of how he inspired so many and his life long work. Sky at Night will be hard to watch now. RIP Patrick. Poor Ptolemy :/

ZeroID
10-12-2012, 06:08 AM
RIP Sir Patrick, an inspration to many ...

ian fry
10-12-2012, 06:33 AM
I was lucky to meet Patrick a couple of times such a nice and funny person
RIP patrick

Irish stargazer
10-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Very sad news indeed- he was an inspiration and introduced me to the hobby when I was a teenager. He will be deeply missed. May he rest in peace

SkyViking
10-12-2012, 07:43 AM
That's very sad to hear. I grew up with his books and was hugely inspired by his enthusiasm. Time to have a browse though them again I think!
RIP Sir Patrick.

Larryp
10-12-2012, 07:47 AM
very sad

Russ59
10-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Too many good people have passed away recently.

So sad to see Sir Patrick amongst them. Like many I grew up with him on the television and I have many of his books.

He was a driving force behind me becoming interested in astronomy and science.

h0ughy
10-12-2012, 08:32 AM
a SAD LOSS INDEED - but what a legacy to leave behind

Shark Bait
10-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Astronomy has lost another of its personalities. He has left his mark.

When I was at school I did not know about his show or books. The first I heard of Patrick Moore was when the Goodies took the mickey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyeJzvyfZl4

It is probably safe to assume that he had a good sense of humour.

It was through his contributions to magazines that I got to learn how much he had contributed to the astronomical community.

JB80
10-12-2012, 09:14 AM
What I love about his books is the enthusiasm that he translates through to the reader, he just makes one want to go out and look up. I did a review on one of his latest collaberations in the books and media section here and as always his enthusiasm was infectous.
I would like to think I can pass on some of that to my kids.

PeterM
10-12-2012, 09:22 AM
This is very sad news indeed.

I remember when I was about 8 years old living in England, staying up a bit later after Dr Who and watching this very excited fellow presenting a programme on Astronomy, for me the rest is history, it was because of Patrick Moore and his infectious enthusiasm that Astronomy became a major part of my life. The programme was of course The Sky At Night - the longest running TV series with the same presenter, Sir Patrick Moore CBE.
Not long after I somehow got a book called The Observers Guide To Astronomy, still no idea how as we were very poor though I suspect the other influence on my hobby my father probably had something to do with this.

In 1988 I had read Sir Patrick was coming to Brisbane to give a talk with Sir Edmund Hilary and Apollo 15 Astronaut James Irwin. I took a punt and rang Patrick's home in the UK. I found his number (which I still have) after calling the local post office and getting it from a lady there. I rang his home and got an answering machine. I left a message inviting him to the Southern Astronomical Societies annual dinner. A few days later his tour promoter reluctantly called me saying Patrick insisted he attend the dinner. The dinner was changed to a Sunday to fit his schedule and we had Patrick Moore's first ever talk in Brisbane presented at our dinner.
I have a much cherished video of that night, Terry Lovejoy and Greg Bock will no doubt remember it well.
After the dinner we took Patrick back to Gregg Thompson's music room - the precursor to to the Infinity attraction Gregg would later build on the Gold Coast (those who have been there will know what I mean). Needless to say Patrick had an absolute wow of a time bouncing on the huge waterbed floor, with spacemusic, lights. smoke machine, mirrors etc etc - he was then 65 years young! Yes we got in the pooh big time with his promoter by getting Patrick to his hotel after midnight - he was giving his "first" official talk the following night, but wow what an experience.

Years later when Greg Bock and I observed the G impact and fireball plume of Shoemaker Levy into Jupiter I remember ringing Patrick at his home at about 2am his time, he was so very excited to hear this he did not mind one bit taking the call, repeatedly asking if we had a photo for The Sky At Night, which of course we didn't.

Patrick Moore inspired my love of this hobby. It was indeed an honour to meet him. My 5 supernova discoveries are the end result of his infectious enthusiasm on a young boy. I will discover more supernova and I will fondly remember Sir Patrick and my father at the time I discover them. Sir Patrick kindly autographed my book The Observers Guide to Astronomy which I will never part with.

Patrick inspired countless amateur and professional astronomers. His loss is heavy on our community.
http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/passtheremote/2012/12/queens-brain-may-leads-tribute.html

Thank you so very, very much Sir Patrick Moore.

Photo Myself, Sir Patrick and Gregg Thompson 1988.

Eggmoon
10-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Very, very sad news indeed... :(

allan gould
10-12-2012, 10:10 AM
He will be sadly missed and I hope the sky at night continues in his memory

TrevorW
10-12-2012, 10:16 AM
A sad loss but in that loss there is a new star in the heavens burning for you, Patrick, and may the light from that star forever shine in our memories. RIP

Weescotty
10-12-2012, 10:17 AM
I still remember sitting up to watch the Sky At Night, and also the programs on the Apollo landings and Skylab.
A true gentlemens gentleman.
Also quite an accomplished xylophone player!
Will be missed by all.

lacad01
10-12-2012, 10:19 AM
RIP - the first time I'd heard of Sir Patrick was even before I was into astronomoy, as a kid watching an episode of The Goodies he appeared on one of the episodes (bunnies I think), showed something of his sense of humour.

Paul Haese
10-12-2012, 11:21 AM
I remember meeting him on his 1988 tour also. An interesting person with some excentric thoughts but very enlightening. I spent a little time talking to him and no doubt his conversation led to me taking planetary imaging up.

A sad loss to astronomy.

ReaPerMan
10-12-2012, 11:34 AM
The end of an era. He will be remembered as one of the significant influences in modern astronomy. I still have my original astronomy books from Patrick Moore that were given to me when I was 13 in the 70's.

FlashDrive
10-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Sad day indeed for Astronomy ...when I was 14 .. I watched Sir Patrick Moore on ' black & white ' television ...when the 1st landing on the Moon in 1969....He was at the Goddard Space Center if my memory serves me correct.

Flash ..!!

Forgey
10-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Sad news indeed, RIP

midnight
10-12-2012, 12:41 PM
A great loss and very sad day indeed.

A legend who will not be forgotten.

Thank you Sir Patrick for it was your great books that got me into astronomy.

Darrin...

CometGuy
10-12-2012, 01:45 PM
I was greatly sadden to hear this news this morning.

I had the great pleasure of meeting Patrick Moore in Brisbane (thanks to Peter Marples in helping organise this btw) and clearly remember meeting this bear of a man as he walked across from Roma Street station! The other point that stuck in my mind was him telling is he wrote all his books with an old 1908 typewriter :)

Anyway may you Rest in Peace Sir Patrick.

Terry

AG Hybrid
10-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Gosh, I was just watching him the other day on my computer from a DVD that came with the sky at night magazine.

R.I.P Sir Patrick.

adrianm
10-12-2012, 04:39 PM
RIP Sir Patrick - I'm looking forward to learning more about his views on the Universe and many years of contribution to astronomy!

leon
10-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Rest In Peace Patrick, I still cherish the many books in my Astronomy collection. :thumbsup:

Leon :thumbsup:

PeterM
10-12-2012, 05:27 PM
A tribute page has been set up by legendary Queen guitarist Brian May.
http://www.banguniverse.com/sirpatrickmoore/

shelltree
10-12-2012, 06:11 PM
RIP Sir :(

firstlight
10-12-2012, 07:10 PM
I share the thoughts of condolences expressed for the passing of this great man. Of course I have known of him for most of my astronomical life, however I had the opportunity to speak to over the phone once at Peter Marple's suggestion. It was after the Queensland Astrofest was counted as one of the top 10 star parties in the world by Sky at Night magazine, and I asked for an autographed copy of the magazine for the raffle. I was struck by his approachability and genuineness.

May he Rest in Peace, my thoughts are with his family.

anthony.tony
10-12-2012, 09:18 PM
He Started His TV show in The Sixties -He will Be Missed -He came out to Australia in the Eighties Doing a Tv series The Unfolding Universe -Here is a Photo of him at The Dish at parkes Csiro .I own a copy of his book The Unfolding Universe -Plus about 6 of his other Books-He's Amongst The Stars Now - Reguard's Tony- Another Image of Patrick -Tony

tonybarry
10-12-2012, 09:58 PM
I recall my dad getting me a copy of Patrick Moore's Guide to the Moon (the 1959 edition) back in about 1965, with stuff in it that I could not find elsewhere (like a list of the lunar eclipses till 1989). I read that book maybe a hundred times and I was just seven. Can't emphasise too much how his style of imparting useful and pertinent information has stayed with me. I learned all my planetary data from his "Guide to the Planets" (the 1970 or thereabouts edition) so it's in miles rather than km. Still can't remember planetary data in km ... I have to convert from miles every time I recall it.

Two great books out of more than 60 he authored. Sadly missed.

Regards,
Tony Barry

Shano592
10-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Vale.

04Stefan07
11-12-2012, 02:34 AM
RIP Sir.

Ramsay11
11-12-2012, 04:32 AM
Sir Patrick can now use whatever telescope he pleases!

kustard
11-12-2012, 07:14 AM
He brought astronomy to a lot of people I know. Plus he was on the Goodies :)

grl570810
13-12-2012, 12:32 PM
The Observers Book of Astronomy c. 1962 was also my first astronomy book, and is still in my possession. I was fortunate enough to meet Sir Patrick after a lecture in Shrewsbury Town Hall (subject long forgotten) when I was aged around 12 and he was most kind to a pint-sized juvenile smart-arse who had the temerity to disagree with him vigorously on some point or other (also long forgotten). A giant of a man in all senses of the word and a great loss to the world-wide astronomical community. Vale Sir Patrick.