PDA

View Full Version here: : Finally the Istar-Gaunt Combo gets to see stars !!

Kunama
06-12-2012, 10:55 PM
After this mornings frost and -2C temperatures we were in for a cloudless day and a clear evening.
My son and I set out some N-S lines in the driveway at Solar Noon, got out the furniture trolley and moved the big mount out of my loungeroom.

After getting the Istar balanced we took out the 13mm & 17mm LVWs and 5mm & 20mm LVs and waited for dark to rise. First target of course was Jupiter and Jovian moons, then followed M45, M42, M41 and a myriad clusters and even managed a meteor streaking through the FOV.

I was pleased with the level of CA, only Sirius showed real violet haze. Having looked through 6" F8s before I was expecting much more purple haze, Jupiter showed only very slight fringing CA. I guess the F10 focal ratio helps more than expected. May have to go to F15 on the home build!
Due to a bit of moisture in the air the 5mm was a bit much (300x) but the 13 and 17mm LVWs worked beautifully with 150mm F10 Istar. I couldn't be happier given that the whole package only cost $2.5K.

brian nordstrom
07-12-2012, 08:06 AM
:thumbsup: Well done Matt , I hear you on the Istar's I had a late night tuesday using my nearly finished 127mm f/8 on jupiter , Orion etc and was very impressed ith the views of jupiter as well the CA was very slight , hardly noticable .
Love your set up its a hark back to yesteryear :lol: , and all for 2.5k , nice .
Brian.

MattT
07-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Yippee!
Good to hear not much CA on the scope. If you don't get an semi apo filter try the Baader fringe killer. Nice warm night temps.... only -2....brrrr
Matt

Kunama
07-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Hi Brian and Matt,
It certainly was a pleasant surprise to train the big scope on Jupiter and to see J and the 4 moons without the dreaded purple fringing that so often plagues achros. The CA that was there was minor and of no distraction.

I have been toying with the idea of the R30/Raycorr for the future but probably will just throw a Baader Semi-Apo at it.

This mount is so strong I could even see bigger Istar on it in the future,
I think it the pier is bolted down then it will handle up to a 100kg total weight without flinching. A home made 250mm F11 R30 has a nice ring to it.

Might have to get Andy to start scaling up his Octagonal Tube plans :question::P:question:

MortonH
07-12-2012, 02:17 PM
So when do you start taking visitors? ;)

Kunama
07-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Soon, very soon ........ Morton :welcome:
My neighbour is a retired engineer/astronomer so I will be picking his brain over the weekend about making 'period correct' slow motion controls for the mount. Then I need to convince him to cut down a gumtree on our border fence. (may have to give him a permanent time-slot for use of the obs.)That way I can convert my 'top shed' into a 'space viewing room'

I am also installing 2 extra piers in the yard as a backstop to get views around some of the trees.

The shed is pictured here, nice view to everything except the SCP.

MortonH
07-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Wow. what a nice spot!