PDA

View Full Version here: : Itchy!

naskies
05-12-2012, 06:40 PM
The other day, I set up my imaging kit in the back yard to do some testing. After spraying lots of Aeroguard on myself, I thought was safe from the mozzies for the evening. That stuff is amazing!

Unfortunately, I stayed out a bit longer than expected (until the pre-dawn) and the Aeroguard must have worn off... because the next morning I ended up with mozzie bites all over my legs. My last count was 100 bites before I stopped counting :(

With the recent hot weather in Brisbane, they're becoming rather itchy! Anyone else in a similar predicament?

cometcatcher
05-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Not many around Mackay at the moment because it's so dry. But as soon as we get rain it will mean the end to the astronomy season. I don't like being bitten so I dress up like santa with long sleeves, long trousers, hat (protects bald head) and gloves. Or I just give up until winter.

Wish there was an ultrasonic zapper that would keep them away in the first place.

Shark Bait
05-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Yes, the mozzies are on a feeding frenzy. I do not have anywhere near the number of bites that you have though.

When I was a child I lived at Wynnum and there were swamps near Nazareth House. I remember they used to aerial spray for mozzies every summer. I wonder if that is still happening?

Matt Wastell
05-12-2012, 07:37 PM
The mozzies do not go me!? I may have too much beer in my system!

Kunama
05-12-2012, 07:41 PM
We lived in Mooloolaba for 10 years, the mozzies were bad but the midges were worse.
At least here in Jindabyne its only the brown snakes you have to worry about. ( I have sent 3 to snake heaven in the last 3 weeks )

luvmybourbon
05-12-2012, 10:06 PM
if they are too itchy try putting a dab of after shave or cologne (girls try perfume) on the bite as it will stop the itching! sorry just my 2 cents worth and you still smell good!

jjjnettie
05-12-2012, 11:07 PM
We have a few mozzies out our way, but the good old black and gold mozzie repellent works a treat.
After a fair bit of rain, we get the big scotch greys move in. They almost knock you over when they land. And they can bite through jumpers too, so one has to spray clothes as well.

pgc hunter
06-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Not here... still battling the subarctic drizzle and hypothermia. The only thing biting me is the flu here in Antarctica's northernmost outpost.

Liz
06-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Got attacked yday am while out photographing the planets - have bites on my feet, hands. neck and scalp!

naskies
06-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks guys! Hazards of the hobby, I guess...

Last night, I emptied half a bottle of Aeroguard on my skin - and it worked - but one sneaky mozzie still managed to get my scalp :rofl:

I'm still undecided as to whether I prefer being frozen in -5 deg C weather in winter, or being eaten alive and noisy subs to boot in summer :lol: