PDA

View Full Version here: : Mosaic-ing using Sequence Generator Pro

allan gould
05-12-2012, 10:49 AM
I often use my 5" apo for imaging but sometimes the FOV is just a little too
small for some of the larger nebula ie M42 (see lmage below), so I
thought that since SG Pro has excellent plate solving with Elbrus, I used the
photo named 127mm view as the master reference frame and plate solved it. I then used the center here feature to go to the edge of the master in all four corners about 1/10 of the pixel number/count (ie 300x250 pixels for the 8300 chip) in from the edge. For all four images for this mosaic SGPro placed the center here frame within 1-8 pixels consistently for each center here command. Most excellent.
I also used the events settings to pause and message me hints during the sequence to switch off the guiding of PhD while I was doing the center here commands and then to switch it on again which capturing more images. Great features.
The mosaic was quickly spliced together using iMerge and then a little touch up with PS3. Since the size of the chip is known then I assume that it would be easy to sdo 2, 4, 9 and 25 panel mosaics using plate solving and SG Pro. But I was lucky to squeze this one in before the clouds rolled in.
It all worked perfectly plate solving and re-focusing while chugging through the events. I really was happy. I haven't tried to make a pretty picture re the core of M42 etc but given it as is so that you can see the raw mosaic. It took all of 5 minutes to put together.
For those that may not be aware of this program, some of its extensive features are given below (I have no connection to this program other than a happy user).

•Use and save complex sequencing events (lights, darks, bias flats, filter wheels , binning, etc)
•Create and save equipment profiles to make generation of sequences fast and easy.
•Automate running auto focus routines according to user defined triggers (keeps you in focus as ambient temperature drops)
•Define sequence pause triggers for manual focus (time, intervals, etc)
•Dither between frames with your choice of three auto guiders (PHD, Astroart and MetaGuide)
•Center your ASCOM compliant telescope on any reference frame you can plate solve (even images from the Internet!)
•Center on your own images… makes framing for meridian flips and multi-night imaging sessions a snap!
•Center your ASCOM compliant telescope on any area of the image with a single click of a mouse!
•Easily perform frame and focus routines (with support for subframes high speed cameras)
•Feel at home with our highly customizable user interface (drag, dock and float small modules for almost any function)
•Over a dozen configurable UI modules (PHD graphing, Image Pan and Zoom, TEC control and more)
•User defined TEC cool down and warm up routines (to minimize thermal stress on your camera's sensitive components)
•Between frame temperature compensation (and integrated trainer)
•Easily create a “flats” sequences from your “lights” sequence
•Detailed documentation and instructional videos
•Near immediate customer support via email or the Yahoo! group

More features are being added all the time such as a plate solving polar alignment routine as well as an automated mosaic feature

Allan Gould

RickS
05-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Nice work, Allan! I'm using ACP and it's great to have software that reliably makes sure you're pointing in the right place, in focus, etc. SG Pro looks like a low cost way to get a lot of the same functionality.

allan gould
05-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Rick
Ive been quite impressed with the programmers responsiveness and dedication to their software.
They really are aiming to make it all inclusive and have even gone to helping with PhDguiding to be open source and getting it up and running to autoselect a guidestar and the ability to switch PhD on and off during certain events during image capture.
The other real beauty is that you dont have to fork out for the Sky6 or X, or Maxim or any other program to control your focuser, mount or camera and it does auto meridian flip, reaquires the guidestar and plate solves so that you can seamlessly go on imaging multiple targets during the night.
Allan

peter_4059
05-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Nicely done Allan. I wonder how long it will be before they automate this mosaic capability in SGP?

allan gould
05-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Glad you liked it Peter but when doing this mosaic you wind up with a fram 7000x5000 pixels just for a 4 panel mosaic.
Apparently they are working on the mosaic feature and I think it will need imput on what type of scope and camera you are using and using a reference frame to continuously synch on before doing the go-tos for each panel but it should be coming in a release or two.
Allan