PDA

View Full Version here: : Lightbridge Changes

astronut
16-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Well after owning my 12"Lightbridge for nearly two months, I've come to the conclusion that it is great value for money and performs exceptionally well.
.................But and you knew there would be a "but" The new alt tension brake fitted and used first in Australia is a dissappointment in part.
It's basic function is excellent and a pleasure to use, but the inadequate friction material is causing heavy damage to the alt bearing swept surface, and that is with only a small amount of use.
I've spoken to Don & Mike at Bintel ( they have been very helpful ) and they will approach Meade and hopefully Meade can come up with a modification of this part.
Now I don't mind carrying out product developement on the run for a company, but I hope Meade replace my damaged alt bearings and replace the tension brake in return.:thumbsup:

h0ughy
16-05-2006, 10:57 PM
any images to illustrate the damage and the function?

astronut
17-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Houghy, Here are the images:) These are not scratches but deep gouges

h0ughy
17-05-2006, 12:00 PM
John can a larger image be loaded i cannot make out the area from the thumbnail (wont enlarge)

ving
17-05-2006, 12:07 PM
gee thats no good john. I hope they replace it too.

astronut
17-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Here is a better image

Starkler
17-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Ouch!
Whats the material used for the friction brake pad? Did you get any dirt or crud in there causing the gouging?

h0ughy
17-05-2006, 12:35 PM
thanks john, is it a metal on metal brake? the hardness of the break must be greater than that of the bearing wheel. I Wonder how many other people have found this problem?

vespine
17-05-2006, 01:37 PM
The friction pad appears to be made out of a white hard plastic, could be a teflon but I'm not good at identifying different plastics. I've had the light bridge for about two months as well but I've only had it out about eight times (damned clouds) and I generally don't tighten the friction pad if I don't need to, so I've only maybe used it only a couple of times and my alt bearing does not display any signs of friction. There is a slightly 'buffed' zone where the contact point is but it is still very smooth to the touch, no scraping or surface deformation that I can detect, even with a wet finger. I'll be even more careful for now until I can figure out some way to prevent this happening.

spacezebra
17-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Hi all

Yes my LB has had the same problem. I have been using a washer rubber until I afix the bike brake. Still waiting on an answer from Bintel - otherwise cannot fault the scope - great piece of equipment.

Cheers Petra

astrogeek
18-05-2006, 07:43 AM
I have a LB and have the same prob too. I was thinking of squirting a dob of silicon into the hole that the white plastic thing is in and doing away with the white plastic bit. This should provide the required sticktion but because the silicon is soft it shouldn't scratch the alt. disks.

astronut
19-05-2006, 03:47 PM
I've spoken to Don ( Bintel ) today and after discussions with Meade a simple modification has been made. They will extend the length of the pad and hopefully this should stop the damage caused to the bearing.
They are replacing both bearings as well as the brake.
THREE CHEERS FOR BINTEL:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

ving
19-05-2006, 04:06 PM
bringing you LB tomorrow night john? :D
I want to see it!

astronut
19-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Yeh Dave, I just got the end rings back from the powder coaters today. It's a much more durable finish than just spraying over the white rings with black paint. Only $40.00:thumbsup:

astronut
19-05-2006, 07:32 PM
To all Lightbridge and G.S.O. sourced scopes. If you want to replace those inadequate collimation screws on your scopes, visit this site in the U.S.A
www.astronomy-shoppe.com (http://www.astronomy-shoppe.com):thumbsup:

vespine
23-05-2006, 11:20 AM
can these be sourced locally?

Would these work on the LB https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=6492 ?

astronut
23-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi V,Commercially made? No.
Bobs Knobs are in the process of putting a knob for the LB's together at the moment. Not on sale yet.
The one's from astronomy shoppe are available now. I'm waiting for delievery, I'll post images when I get them:thumbsup:

astro_nutt
23-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Just a long shot..try www.coventryfasteners.com.au....the y might have grub screws with a knurled or recessed hex end.

astronut
30-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Here are the secondary & primary collimation screws for the Lightbridge and other G.S.O. sourced scopes. They are available from Astronomy -Shoppe :thumbsup:

h0ughy
30-05-2006, 10:10 AM
could you provide cost, Size, type, product code and any other details, just in case they could be source more locally for people?

astronut
30-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Houghy, There aren't any commercially available in Australia that I'm aware of. www.astronomy-shoppe.com (http://www.astronomy-shoppe.com) click onto meade link.
I've purchased these and they're great, a quantum leap over the originals. Especially the primary knobs.
$50AUD for the set of sec+prim.
I know that if you source you're own thread and knobs it would be cheaper, but I don't have time for that + all the running around ( cost of petrol, etc)
This was the best way:thumbsup:
P.S. It only took 10days from order to delievery:thumbsup:

robagar
30-05-2006, 05:18 PM
John, is there anything to be aware of when replacing the collimation screws (like the secondary dropping off and breaking the primary when you undo them all , f'rinstance)?

astronut
30-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Hi Rob, As long as you keep the centre screw done up there shouldn't be any tragedies. Another good way is take one out, then replace with the new one, etc.You will have to recollimate the secondary when finished.
At first I was only going to buy the primary knobs, but after some thought, I knew that the one off time down the road when I would have to recollimate the sec, I could see me dropping the screw driver down onto the mirror:eyepop: :scared: ( Murphys Law ). So I bought both sets:thumbsup: :rofl:

astronut
31-05-2006, 05:34 PM
I've just received my secondary+ primary collimation knobs from Astronomy Shoppe in U.S.
I tip my hat to Tony Costanzo the owner, the knobs he's produced make the originals feel and work like their out of the stone age.
If you have a dob that needs tools to adjust your mirrors, come into the 21st century and buy these instead:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JimmyH155
09-06-2006, 12:34 PM
I must have missed something because my Lightbridge 12" deluxe doesn't have any brakes. The trunnions on the lower bit containing the primary mirror just sit snugly into the felt lined semicircular holes, on the swivelling box, and the weight of the thing just keeps perfect balance from vertical up to horizontal. Have I gone stupid??:doh:

ving
09-06-2006, 02:24 PM
no altitude brake jimmy? :confuse3:

astronut
09-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Jimmy, Where did you purchase it. When I bought mine from Bintel a couple of months ago, Don mentioned to me that they had come straight from Taiwan. We were the first to have the new addition:thumbsup:

JimmyH155
09-06-2006, 04:14 PM
I bought it from Star Optics in Mermaid Beach, Gold Coast. Just 10 days ago. The box says Taiwan, but definately no brakes or any mention of them in instruction manual. I was amused because I swear I read somewhere that they came from Irvine Calif - or is that just the mirror? I will have a closer look when I get home tonite.
I was so impressed that it seems so perfectly balanced just resting on the felt.:thumbsup:

JimmyH155
09-06-2006, 04:31 PM
You've got me real worried. Perhaps i'm really going loopy. lucky I didnt throw away the boxes - have to scrabble through them tonite but still convinced no brakes!!!
Will let you know on Tuesday.

astronut
09-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Jimmy, I know that Bintel have a lot of pull with Meade, Don told me that they asked Meade to send the scopes straight from Taiwan instead of going the long way via the U.S.A.
Star Optics may have imported straight from the U.S. where there were still stocks of the original scope w/out the brake.
Check through the earlier part of this thread I'm sure I posted a picture of the brake:thumbsup:
The scopes were made for Meade By Guan Sheng Optics, in Taiwan;)
Check the "Lightbridge Updates" thread in this section.

JimmyH155
10-06-2006, 06:13 PM
There are definately NO BRAKES or SPRINGS - just great balance . YOU SEE, IT IS ALL DONE WITH MIRRORS!:lol:;)

JimmyH155
13-06-2006, 09:01 AM
My Lightbridge arrived in 2 boxes which were extremely well packed - apart from one thing...... When I opened the bottom tube containing the mirror, the incredibly flimsy plastic dust cover had come adrift somewhere between Taiwan, USA, Gold Coast. It had been rolling around inside and there are dozens of scratches all over the matt black painted inside. There seemed to be a few minor scratches on the mirror as well. So what do I do? Send it back and lose out on say 3 months of viewing? Or put up with it. Think I'll do the latter - can't bear the thought of not taking it to Bunya Mountain next week.... If somebody has access to Meade, please get them to make the dust cover more substantial and incapable of coming adrift during transit (maybe wedge a piece of polystryene on top of the cover?):(

astrogeek
13-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Sounds like you definatly got a scope from USA rather then directly from Taiwan as they are the ones that have the mirror cover issue. Personly, I would take it back. You've spent a lot of money on a piece of equiptment that you will have for many years and you have the right to recieve it in perfect condition. Just my two cents :)

Leon

P.S. Now (in the scopes coming direct from Taiwan) the mirror cover is packet outside the mirror box so there is no chance of scratching. Should have done it that way from the start.

vespine
13-06-2006, 02:32 PM
When you have a look at the rocker box where the ota bearings sit, on one side (same side as the eye piece rack) there should be a threaded hole for the screw that tensions the break, is that there?

From memory, the actual break widget and the screw/knob that attaches it to the rocker box was in the same little baggie as the rest of the mount screws.

astrogeek
13-06-2006, 02:50 PM
If he got one with the mirror cover inside the mirror box, which he said he did, then the brake will not be installed. Meade fixed the brake and the mirror cover box at the same time and all scopes with the brake have the cover outside the mirror box.

ving
13-06-2006, 03:31 PM
came with scratches on the mirror? i'd talk to the shop about that and see what they say. it should have arrived scratch free.

JimmyH155
14-06-2006, 11:04 AM
I took your advice and phoned up Star Optics. The inevitable reply...."I'll email Meade with the problem and be right back to you"
I'll keep you all posted on the reply. Thanks for goading me into action!

ving
14-06-2006, 11:09 AM
i need goading too... or as cheryl calls it, nagging :P