PDA

View Full Version here: : Innovation Starvation

RickS
03-12-2012, 01:27 PM
An interesting article by Neal Stephenson which talks about our current inability to do "big stuff" like run major space programs, the influence of SF literature, etc.

http://www.worldpolicy.org/journal/fall2011/innovation-starvation

cometcatcher
03-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Kind of true really. We the human race are a combination of Klingons and Ferengi. Unless it has monetary or military gain, we don't bother (unless it's painting bicycle lanes). Not that I have anything against cycling, it's good exercise, but I've never seen anyone use those fancy bright bike lanes here.

joe_smith
03-12-2012, 03:10 PM
I dont think its our inability to do "big stuff" I think its our inabillty to dream up the big stuff" I read a review in a science web site that said our technology is making us dumber and he says he has found the mutation in our genes to prove it and is predicting more change. My view is, I think we are losing our creativity as humans, we are losing the ability to dream up new ideas and solutions to old age questions and problems. Our moden world now is all work and no play, no time for kids, there parents are the fake reality shows and a alternate inner self lock in a virtual world in cyber space. Look at the school system here my daughter for science to help her learn more about endangered animals had to watch a video about the subject the video was a movie, can you believe it was "Anaconda" !!

rolls05
03-12-2012, 03:17 PM
G'day Rick, thanks for that link man. Great article,and so true. I remember the fuel tank example well. cheers.

AndrewJ
03-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Gday Rick

Interesting link.
I always liked Asimovs Foundation SF, esp in how society evolves with technology. I reckon we are getting into the age of the priests, ie we now learn to use things by rote, but dont understand anymore.

However, i think a big part of it is also a legal system that sticks its nose into everything and effectively stops anything that may have risk.
Sure there are valid times when people need to be pulled into line,
but we have gone well past that stage.
I remember the interview recently with the Apollo astronauts,
and one commented that even with the advanced technology we have, it couldnt be done today due to "risk".
How many good ideas have foundered on that recently??

Andrew

MikeyB
03-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Maybe it's not David Attenborough, but it seems pretty realistic to me: Anaconda (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1AMgagOP3Q) :rofl: