PDA

View Full Version here: : Major field photography/filming job completed.

hotspur
01-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Have not been posting much here in recent months-when not working I've been collecting data for two documentaries,my son does editing and work in the film and T.V arena,although seems to be getting a bit of work on the other side of the camera in recent times.

He was asked by local council to do a documentary on the restoration of the 160 year old cemetary destroyed by floods,after much time the did give him the funding (after all the data etc had been collected),Anyhow I spent many months collecting all the work being done-not knowing wheather funding would come through.At the same time,we were collecting data and making a DVD for U.S market of dingo trapping,so got all that done at same time-that DVD is in the very final stages of production.

So here is a very small amount of images of the projects that I collected data on,rather pleased its all over-collecting data on a construction site and wild vermin that's ready to give you a nip,by myself was rather trying,and challenging.

Octane
01-12-2012, 02:59 PM
That poor thing must be in so much pain. :(

H

hotspur
01-12-2012, 04:05 PM
'Poor thing' no!-the traps I now use,are all modern designs,with animal welfare in mind,and I've modified these so they are more humane.One property wanted me to use them in area where I had concerns sheep might stand in them-the owner insisted I put them there,one got caught,but after release showed now signs of ill health-the older steel jaw traps,which will be banned in QLD in January do cause pain.

The dog caught in trap on cover you have concerns about-was a member of a pack that killed a domestic dog-we have had city people move up here and not overly keen on dingo trapping-but after they see a domestic dog get torn to death with there own eyes-they soon call a wild dog practitioner,I'm sure the domestic dog that got torn to death experienced a bit more pain than 'that poor thing'

leon
01-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Love the cemetery work Chris, I'm sure your efforts will pay off in the end, well done, :thumbsup: as for the Dingo, :shrug:

Leon :thumbsup:

Octane
01-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Perhaps city folk are moving into dingo territory.

Either way, glad to hear that the traps are humane, at the very least.

I care about wildlife, whether it be predatory or domesticated.

H

hotspur
01-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Yes-Its good to move on from the older steel jaw traps with teeth-these are inhumane-non target species had no chance-the new ones can be pan tension adjusted to 3.5/4.5 pond trigger weight,so much less chance of non target species such as magpies,crows etc get caught,also they have off set jaws-which mean there is a large gap,so birds legs are not damaged,and the design allows pressure over a larger area of leg of animal,so there is less pain.

I do not approve of cruel methods of animal handling,and recently helped the stock squad with a case of animal welfare concerns against native wildlife,trapping may appear mean,but when sees other methods of vermin control,such as poison baiting which is non target and kill much native wildlife,one then does see many poor creature die a awful death which should come under question.

These traps are checked regularly and and any target animal dealt a quick and painless as possible dispatch.They are also placed in shaded areas.So all aspects of animal welfare are carefully looked at.

Octane
01-12-2012, 04:48 PM
I understand, Chris. :)

H

hotspur
01-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Well they will pay off for Joel-I was at the meeting this morning,4.6 K approved for payment to him for the cemetery rebuild project.Took five months to rebuild cemetery,and six months for the money to come forward.

As the for the dingo DVD,not sure as yet how it will go,but another chap did a instructional trapping DVD its was a very very basic production,but he had 10 K of sales,our DVD is a little more aimed at wider audience-with general wildlife,and some bush craft,and seems a very polished production,with multi angle shots,and a high standard of editing etc-if we have a third of the sales the other chap had,we would be happy.Had some retail interest which looks good so far.So hopefully Joel should get some return on that too,and be able to buy a car or 5D2

el_draco
01-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Bravo,
Old cemeteries are a reminder of our past. Someone remembers those buried there and the work you have done is brilliant! Excellent!

Rom

AstralTraveller
03-12-2012, 07:52 PM
I'd have loved to do the photography of the restoration. I enjoy looking around ruins or photographing old buildings. So that would have been a great job.