PDA

View Full Version here: : Plasti-phobia

LewisM
30-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Or for want of a better term, hatred of all-things plastic.

Personally, I LOATHE plastic in anything I use in a precise way, be it from telescopes to firearms and anything in between, and whenever and wherever possible/feasible, I replace plastic items with metal.

Vixen scopes come with plastic focus knobs on the default focuser (which I like SOOOOOOO much more than Moonlite or Feathertouch focusers - yes, I am strange, but know I am not alone). It makes a classy scope a touch tacky, and I don't think they are very resilient plastic either (the knobs on my VC200L had hairline cracks).

SO, I had a mate mill and turn up some BEAUTIFUL stainless steel copies of the knobs (the original circular knobs, not the newer conical knobs) - complete with edge knurling (not reeded like the originals). They are BEAUTIFUL, and beefy too (have to rebalance the scope one I install them! I asked him NOT to lighten the back side - I wanted them solid), Price was $60 a pair - I got 2 pair, plus an additional for a refractor mate here who I told about. Would have been cheaper/easier to go aluminium, but aluminium is not me either.

I'll post some pictures in the morning, but a DEFINITE upgrade over plastic!

Just got to decide to paint them black like the original plastic, or leave the stainless "raw" - tending to think to leave them raw "white" - adds a little more class :)

Astro_Bot
30-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Plus cheaper, easier and the paint won't wear off (as it inevitably would).

As for my opinion on focusers .... here's what I think (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_RXq7T9p6s).

pgc hunter
30-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Plastic doesn't belong on telescopes. I remember my first 60mm Tasco refractor... the set screw threads on the plastic focuser were stripped within a couple of weeks, same deal with the plastic diagonal. Took all of 3-4 months for the company to send out a new diagonal and repair the focuser. Ahh, the good ol' days!!! Good to see brands like GSO and Skywatcher these days offering robust products that use properly designed features. Would've loved to start out with a solid 6" dob that costs the same as that 60mm department store Tasco did back then.

LewisM
01-12-2012, 08:52 AM
I have used several Moonlites. They are OK, but an old Vixen R&P is buttery smooth, and VERY precise. Snaps into focus better than the Moonlites do.

brian nordstrom
01-12-2012, 04:49 PM
:thumbsup: I am with you there Lewis , the vixen R&P 1 1/4 inch focuser on my Istar optic's build using an old Saxon 127mm tube is so nice its staying on this scope as well .
Easily as good as the R&P focusers on my Takahashi flourites .
:D Do the Japaneese know how to make focusers or what ?
Brian.

MrB
01-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Finished Carbon Fibre is approx. 50% plastic... just sayin' ;)